Thursday, March 24, 2011

Thursday Tales of Book Reading: "My Child Read to Me..."

Dear Pg.59,
I just wanted to share with you a recent experience I had with my child.  While I was folding up clothes one afternoon, my little girl walks in the room and says, "Mom, can I read you a book"?  Now, my first response was to say wait a little while mommy is busy right now.  However, I could not say no to the sweetest look in  her eyes, so I stopped what I was doing and said "of course you can".
Photo Credit: chandlerlibrary.org
She had selected to read "The Little Engine That Could".  So, I sat next to her as she read and helped her with a few words.  And when she was done she said, "Mom, can I be like the little engine"?  And I said, "Yes, and even better".  She smiled with soooo much happiness and gave me the biggest hug!  I must say that it made my day.  I just wanted to share this with you because there are many ways reading can be enjoyed and I hope that those with children, take out time to read and share with them!  Thank you for your time.

Humbled Mom

Dear Humbled Mom,
 I must agree with you!  There is something very pure and sweet when my child reads to me.  I feel special, loved and excited that she chose to share her world with me.  It's a great bonding experience and I encourage all parents, if they haven't done so already, to read with their children.  Or... if they ask to read to you, take out a few minutes (if the house isn't burning down) and listen.  This means the world to them!  How do I know? Because I have made the mistake of saying no when my child asked and the look on her face was hurt me to my heart! Lesson learned!!  Now, I understand that the time isn't always permitting, but let us do our best! Rearrange your our busy schedules or suggest a better time  for sharing and keep that promise!!  Thank  you for sharing with us. We really enjoyed your experience!

Have you had a similar experience?  Leave your comments below.  We love them!!
Thanks.

T-N-T

1 comment:

  1. That is so adorable! While I don't have a child myself, I have a niece and a nephew (and another on the way) that I adore reading to. They both love when I come to visit with new books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...