Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Interview with Lutishia Lovely....Pt. 2

  
Pg.59 Book Club Members
w/Lutishia Lovely (center)

As you know, Lutishia Lovely is our featured author for this month and she took out the time to tell us a little about her new book, All Up In My Business, and herself too!  Check out Pt. 2 of the interview as she shares a little information about herself.....
(Click here if you missed Pt. 1 of the interview.)

Tasha:  What inspired you to become an author?

Lutishia:  I feel like writing is what happened while I was busy making other plans! But looking back, words and creativity were always huge parts of my life. This love of words first revealed itself in my joy and natural knack for memorizing long Christmas and Easter speeches for my small-town church programs. In junior high school, I begin writing my own poems, and also created some of the more entertaining, original cheers for the cheerleading squads that I graced throughout my first year of college. I enjoyed more than a decade as an actor and radio personality. But writing as a career? Totally by accident. I was tapped by a toy manufacturing company to write a children’s novel and after that wrote, produced and starred in a theatrical production called, “Knowledge…or What.” About this same time I realized that to see the characters and stories I envisioned, I’d have to write them. So I began doing just that. And here I am…

Tosha:  Where do you draw your inspiration to write?  (Certain place, environment, people??)

Lutishia:  I think that as a creative artist, I am always being inspired – by my life, your life, and everything around me. Many storylines come to be out of the blue, and characters are constantly talking in my head. I always say that if I wasn’t a writer, I’d be in a mental institution wearing a strait jacket!

Tasha:  Have you ever experienced writers block? If so, how do you handle it?

Lutishia:  OMG, Tasha. At times, this has really been challenging. I’ve been writing constantly for more than seven years (a total of 19 books) and periodically my mind simply refuses to follow the publisher’s due lines. In these moments, I give in to Spirit’s subtle whisper telling me to step away, renew and replenish. “But I have a due line to meet,” I argue. And then Spirit’s soft, soothing voice: it’s okay. Even though this isn’t always easy, because I feel that I should be working and pushing and making it happen, it inevitably ends up being for the best.  I take a break, focus on another aspect of my life: read a good book, watch a few good movies, enjoy friends and family, support someone else’s dream…in other words, replenish my spirit. Once I’m renewed, I can write again.

Tosha:  What advice do you have for upcoming writers, authors, editors?  (Something you wish someone would have told you)

Lutishia:  I would tell up and coming writers to believe in themselves, first and foremost. Follow their dream, and find their voice. There’s no need to emulate someone else already out there. We’re all unique and someone is waiting for what you have to say. I also stress how important it is to study the craft of writing. Some people think that just because they can tell a good story, that they can write a good book. There is no thought given to grammar,  syntax, spelling, pacing, character/plot development, the art of the craft. Writing is not as easy as it looks, and the publishing industry is a business. Do your homework, prepare for the long haul, but most importantly…believe.

Tasha:  What one thing would you like people to know about you?

Lutishia:  That I’m more of a diva than I can currently convey! ::smile:: And that I’ve worked very, very hard for the title…

Tasha/Tosha:  How can people follow your work and get in contact with you?

Lutishia:  Thanks so much for asking. Next to writing, connecting with readers is one of my favorite things to do! The easiest way to connect is via my website: www.LutishiaLovely.com. There, you can connect with me on Facebook and Myspace, follow me on Twitter, sign up for my newsletter, and/or contact me directly. I personally respond to every email and am waiting to hear from YOU! So get on the computer and hollah at ‘cha girl…::wink::
 
Thank you so much for sharing so much with us.  We look forward to the next book in the Business Series, Mind Your Business, that will be released later this year!!
If  you have questions or comments, please leave them below,  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...